Articles By Us
Written by Lisa and George in National Geographic Intelligent Traveler, the Huffington Post, Touriosity, The Myanmar Times, Jewish Journal, Johnny Jet, Dave’s Travel Corner, Technorati.com, Westside Today, and Los Angeles Mom Magazine.
A Royal Cremation in Ubud
To kick off our year-long trek through Southeast Asia, my husband and I spent two months exploring the Indonesian island of Bali with no set itinerary. While in the town of Ubud, home of the Balinese royal family, we saw that the Puri Agung Ubud were building a bade (cremation tower) and an enormous twenty-foot papier-mâché bull for a cremation ceremony for Prince Tjokorda Putra Dharma Yudha, so we decided to attend.
Lisa’s article in print in the Myanmar Times about the famous leg rowers and Phaung Daw Oo Pagoda Festival, one of the largest Buddhist celebrations in the country.
THE STORY: I did not realise that our hotel, the Golden Empress, would be located on a corner in the town of Nyaungshwe that would offer us a great view of the procession. Our seats on the second-floor balcony made me feel like Katie Couric at the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade. There was literally not a better seat in the country to see the golden Buddha images pass through the final tower on the way to the monastery for their three nights of rest.
Read Lisa’s article in print in Touriosity Magazine about the Inle Lake Festival in Myanmar.
“My journeys have always included my curiosity for the people and culture of a location and my favorite thing is to see a festival and be able to share in local traditions.
National Geographic noted in its Jan/Feb 2011 magazine that “Burma is among the world’s most beguiling destinations,” and I agree. I was first in Burma in 2001 when I worked for Renaissance Cruises and as I watched the sun set over Shwedagon Pagoda, I knew I would be back.”
Read Lisa on the Huffington Post!!
Teachers Need a Village in the Huffington Post
Lisa’s article about Teachers, Global Education and the Los Angeles Science Teachers Network from September 2012. Read the full article here.
- Kailua Beach a Tropical Oasis on Oahu Why does President Obama take his vacation in Kailua in Hawaii? Because it is amazing! See the sights with Lisa and George.
- Wandering Waikiki: Thanks to Will for sharing all the best spots of Waikiki with us-Join us for our hike, snorkel and our day of what you would do if you were a local in Oahu.
- Pearl Harbor: A Day to Remember. If you have not been yet to the Memorial at Pearl Harbor, move it to the top of your list. Lisa and George share stories and video to inspire you.
Dave’s Travel Corner
- Five Savvy Reads that feel like traveling including The Newlyweds, Cloak, Then Came You, American Dervish and Letter from a Stranger.
- Vietnam: Where is the Ho Chi Minh Trail? Ever wondered why the United States was bombing Cambodia and Laos if we were in a war with Viet Nam? Learn a bit of geography and history while traveling with Lisa.
Give Yourself Time: The Joy of Taking a Break
Friends and family ask us, “How do you do it? How do you manage to leave for a year?” Others say, “You are crazy; I would never do that!” but …Vagabonding’ is about taking time off from your normal life — from six weeks, to four months, to two years — to discover and experience the world on your own terms. Read more…
The Elusive Matsu Pilgrimage of Penghu
Turbulent Tonga: Part One, Two and Three
Westside Today: Travel as a lens for Reflection
Los Angeles Mom Magazine: Science and Your Child
Not all of us can make a commitment to nature like Henry David Thoreau to go live on Walden Pond, but we do not have to go to such lengths to inspire our children to love nature. By creating wonder and a connection to the environment we can all protect our planet. Read more…
We Said Go Travel: Our Stories
Click here to read our stories, see our photos and follow our adventures!