Travel Writing Contests, Classes and Resources
- These contests have free entry and cash prizes:
- Dave’s Travel Corner Annual Writing contest ends July 1. Cash and other prizes
- The ‘Just Back’ Daily Telegraph Travel Writing Competition weekly travel writing competition. Entries have to be 500 words or less, a £200 prize. Winning entries will be published.
- Matador Network: Contests every month around Travel
- TransitionsAbroad.com Travel Writing Contest: annual contest, $500usd Cash Prize, closes Jan 13, 2014
- WanderWomen Write: Wanderlust and Lipstick Annual contest with four categories enter by Dec 31, 2013.
- We Said Go Travel Writing Contest: Free Entry, $1,750 usd Cash Prizes ($1,o00usd First Prize). Themes: Inspiration (January 2-Feb 14), Independence (May 11-July 4) and Gratitude (September 11-Thanksgiving) All acceptable entries will be published.
- Frayed Passport: travel writing, photography, and filmmaking classes (also available off-line in NYC)
- MatadorU: Classes for Travel Journalism
- MediaBistro: Courses and Seminars
- Teen Travel Blogger class –Wandering Educators
- Travel Writing Road Map: Join Tiffany Hawk for the complete roadmap to exotic travel writing.
- UCLA Extension Writers’ Program: largest and most comprehensive continuing education creative writing and screenwriting program in the world
- Abdullahi Muhammed Writing Classes in Africa
- Book Passage Conferences, California, USA
- Laura Fraser Destination Writing Retreats—all over the planet
- Amy Friedman: July 2014 Idyllwild Memoir Writing
- Eric Hiss: July 2013 Los Angeles Writers Pad East ”From Cheng Du to Timbuktu”
- HarvardWood Literary Workshops Spring 2014: Personal Essay and Memoir Writing
- Annelise Sorensen: New York City Dive In To Travel
- SF Writers’ Grotto classes, California, USA
- Upod Academy: a place for freelancers to support, inspire, amuse, inform, advise, celebrate and hire each other.
- Aerogramme Studio: shares writing, books and publishing information including competitions and writing resources.
- Asia Writes: provides updated listing of opportunities for writers across the Asian continent and the diaspora
- I Love Travel Writing: group on Facebook
- Travel Memoir Writers: We traveled. We learned. And now we’re telling our stories.
- The Writers Circle: FB Writing Community
- We Are Sole Sisters: Making Travel Happen
- Winning Writers: Provides essential resources for Writers.
- Write On! Online: Bringing community to writers throughout the world!
- Writer’s Cafe: an online community for writers-share your writing.
- Writing.Com is the online community for writers of all interests.
- WSGT Passionate Travel Writing: Google+ community for Travel Writers
Resources in Books:
- APE: Author, Publisher, Entrepreneur-How to Publish a Book
- If You Want to Write: A Book about Art, Independence and Spirit recommended by Guy Kawasaki
- Lonely Planet Travel Writing by Don George
- On Writing: 10th Anniversary Edition: A Memoir of the Craft By Stephen King, recommended by Russell and Asia
- TRAVEL WRITING 2.0: Earning Money from your Travels in the New Media Landscape recommended by Nora the Professional Hobo
- A Sense of Place: Great Travel Writers Talk About Their Craft, Lives, and Inspiration (Travelers’ Tales) recommended by David Farley
- Story: Style, Structure, Substance, and the Principles of Screenwriting
- Super Brand You recommended by Dr. Jessie Voigts
- Write Out Loud by Carol Barash. This book is written for high school students but I highly recommend it for anyone who wants to improve their writing! Lisa Niver Rajna
- Writing the Memoir: From Truth to Art, Second Edit by Judith Barrington
- I Could Tell You Stories: Sojourns in the Land of Memory by Patricia Hempl
- The Art of the Personal Essay: An Anthology from the Classical Era to the Present by Philip Lopate
Want to share a contest, class or resource for this page?
Send Lisa an email to get the information added.